Monday, June 22, 2009

Book Review: Wetlands


True fact: I was too embarassed to take this book out of my public library. My local branch is quite small, and the manager has a terrible habit of commenting on my reading choices (exhibit A: Bonk: the curious coupling of science and sex - by Mary Roach)

A friend of mine was kind enough to lend it to me (she purchased it from amazon.ca) I devoured it in a matter of hours (spread over the course of a few days, I'm a mother!!)

The surrounding this book lead me to believe it should be handed out in a brown paper cover, but once inside there is nothing scary or even overtly kinky going on. True the heroine has a lot of sexual experience for an 18 year old (or does she?) and the story revolves around her ass and its trials. Honestly though, this book is a thoughtful, insightful and goddamn refreshing read. I cherish Helen's honesty, and her opinions (washing fruit to rid it of pesticides is useless) and I completely agree with her hate on for the American "feminine hygeine" industry, because, it is just that, an industry!

Before I started reading, i asked the friend i was borrowing it from if the avocado was involved in something kinky in the story (yes my mind went there, didnt yours?) Helen grows avocados from pits, she really has it down to quite a science, and brings them with her to the hospital while she convalesces from her surgery.

I laughed out loud at several instances in Wetlands, agreed with many situations and ideas, was shocked by a few and overall enjoyed the unique tone and wit throughout. Please, set aside any qualms you may have had and read this book - carry it home cover facing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment